Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Denial and the blow I never wanted to acknowledge happened today....

We had TVI today as usual, but she was at a conference over the weekend. We are due to attempt to get in to Perkins School for the Blind for better visual acuity testing, but now they aren't open until FALL!!!! for scheduling. That really pissed me off since I've been trying for months, and my TVI mentioned to the person doing the conference that we have been trying to get her in for a while. So while she was there she learned a basic acuity exam that will give us a ballpark idea of what she is seeing. It was a long wooden dowel rod with a mini koosh ball hanging off of it. While I was in front of her it was introduced in to her visual fields and we noted when she saw it. Left side she saw it peripherally. from the top it took until about almost midline for her to see. the right, she didn't see it. It crossed over midline. :( So as near as we can tell she doesn't see with that side. Honestly it hasn't hit me yet. I expected it, I knew it , but to see it be so dramatic...was just heartbreaking. But my TVI reminded me (and she is right) about how well she has compensated for her vision and that you can't even tell she has a vision defecit. And according to her last ERG her developmental vision is still improving, so we can only speculate that she compensated for her vision loss from her stroke, not her surgery and that is why she doesn't show the typical signs of CVI/vision loss. It was just a major blow on an already crappy day. I guess I knew it all along, I just never acknowledged it. it was like her stroke in the beginning, if I didn't acknowledge it then it wasn't there..or at least not as bad. sigh. sometimes I hate testing.

1 comment:

Wendi Taylor said...

((( Hugs ))) Remember, she is still the same child she was before the test. The only thing that has changed, is that you have more information in order to give her the best help possible.